About Me

My photo
Wrexham, Wales, United Kingdom
Ex pat Yorkshireman living in North Wales. Married to Heather. Two dogs, Two cats

Thursday 5 February 2009


This took absolutely ages. I was trying to "translate" a pattern into something I could understand at a glance from a book by Julia E Saunders. Only just managed it due to a good picture, where I could relate what was going on. There's some beautiful stuff in it but I can't make head nor tail of most of it. Shame really. I still got lost but made up one of the first stars, then did my own thing with it, The book was still under the sofa when I went to find it just now.

It is made from Cronit rayon thread, it is a pig to work with, but the colours are smashing. Unfortunately the lady who sells it in Shrewsbury has only got 3 colours Ecru, a salmon pink and this green. It is about a foot across.

Each separate motif uses the best part of 20 yards of this thread

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Rayon thread does look so pretty when it's all tatted up! The shiny thread looks beautiful, I agree! I also agree that it is a pain the the you-know-what to tat with, LOL!
Your tatted piece is lovely.

Valerie said...

i haven't tried using the thread but the motif turned out really nice. :)

Needledreams said...

Ah! The joy of rayon thread! lol I also hate to work with it but the results are so pretty. The piece looks gorgeous.

tatt3r said...

When I work from Julia Sanders' book, I re-write the pattern so it makes sense to me. I change the notation and put each ring and chain on one line, just like a modern pattern. There are some beautiful patterns in that book, and it's worth the effort to do the translation, IMHO. Nice work, Bob!

Thelma said...

It is such a lovely piece of tatting Bob! The thread may have been a pain,,but it gave such beautiful results. Great Job!

Ridgewoman said...

So good to see a new piece from you. What a huge project, but you are persistent! I always enjoy looking at your work.
I have given away a JS book (I ended up with two somehow) and I would have to re write patterns too. Unfortunately, I got that book when I just first learned to tat, so it's been gathering dust.
Guess I'll have to take another look know that I know a little more!
Best Wishes Bev

tattrldy said...

The thread might be a pain but the result looks great Bob: )